2011 52 Books in 52 Weeks Reading Challenge
This past year has been awesome and I've had lots of fun. 2011 is almost upon us and time to start thinking about making some changes. As I mentioned, I can't maintain two blog challenges at the same time so going to blend Mind Voyages with Read 52 books in 52 Weeks Reading Challenge.
You'll have the option of continuing the voyages, starting a new voyage or blending with the other challenge. I've come up with a variety of mini challenges as well which will help people reach the 52 books goal. The Mini challenges are also for those folks who don't think they can or have the time to read 52 books. Challenges within the challenges. Set a goal and go for it. You'll be able to link to your reviews on the other blog as well.
The goal is simply to read (at least) one book a week for 52 weeks or 12 books in 12 weeks.
1) Mind Voyages is a science fiction / fantasy challenge to explore the hugo and nebula winners, take side trips through the different decades reading the nominees, check out Philip K. Dick and Robert Heinlein. Also, Since I can't possibly imagine a reading challenge without exploring new releases that come out in 2011, we have the all inclusive Pluto challenge. Links to all the voyages are available on the Mind Voyages blog.
Moon Voyage : Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo Winners List
Sling shot back to Earth : Read at least 3 winners on the Nebula Winner's List
Venus Voyage: Philip K. Dick Quest - Read at least 2 of his books
Mercury Voyage : Robert Heinlein Quest - Read at least 2 of his books
Mars Voyage : Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo List and take a side trip through the 21st century and read at least 4 nominees.
Go into Warp Drive and visit the other planets
Jupiter Voyage : Go side tripping 90's Style
Saturn : Go Side Tripping 80's Style
Uranus : Go Side Tripping 70's Style
Neptune Voyage : Go Side Tripping through the 50's and 60's
The I'm going to Pluto because Pluto is still a planet as far as I'm concerned Voyage: Mix it up, choose the number of books you want to read from each voyage, include some new books you pick up along the way and enjoy the ride.
2) Read around the World: I probably did read around the world last year but didn't pay much attention. So this year I'm paying attention to setting. Keep track of where the story takes place and see how many places you end up.
3) Ireland Reading Challenge: or just stick with one country such as Ireland and read books set in Ireland, written by Irish Authors or with an Irish theme. Pick 2, 4, 6, or 12 books to read.
4) Jane Austen Mini Challenge: Read Jane Austen's books -Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion. All can be found online here.
5) Well Educated Mind Mini Challenge: The Well Educated Mind written by Susan Wise Bauer is a guide to reading the great works. Read 3 books from each category: Fiction, autobiography, history, drama and poetry.
6) New Author Mini Challenge: Read at least one new to you author per month.
7) Try a new genre challenge: Read at least one book in a genre you've never tried before.
8) E-Book reading challenge: read at least 3, 6, 9, or 12 e-books this year.
9) Chunkster Challenge: Chunksters are considered books that are over 500 pages in length. Read one chunkster a month.
10) Read 12 classics in 12 months
A new year, a fresh slate. Time to discover some new friends and rediscover some old friends. Make the challenge as easy and casual as you want or spice it up and challenge yourself. Explore a bit, but most of all have fun.
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011.
- Our book weeks will begin on Sunday.
- Participants may join at any time.
- All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc.
- Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2011.
- Books may overlap other challenges.
- Create an entry post linking to this blog.
- Come back and sign up with Mr. Linky in the "I'm participating post" in the 52 books blog.
- You don't have a blog to participate. Post your weekly book in the comments section.
- Mr. Linky will be added to the bottom of the weekly post for you to link to reviews of your most current reads.